Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

My son has applied jobs in the last month and a half and has

Customer Question

My son has applied for two jobs in the last month and a half and has been denied employment because a Justice Court will not release his background check in the time frame allotted for employment. This is becoming a frustrating issue for him and myself. What can he do about this? The background check reveals a misdemeanor for minor pot possession almost 3 years ago. My son has been completely honest about this charge with prospective employers.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has son gotten his own background check from the AZ Dept of Public Safety?

.

Are the employers requesting a confirmation that he has no current charges pending against him?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no request has been made for further inquires into my background. It is simply that the delivery or processing is taking to long. I have contacted the court offices and can only get a public background that isn't viable for employment. I have tried to contact the company that processes backgrounds for my potential jobs to put through an expedite with no success.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, here is what I would suggest... Contact the AZ Dept of Public Safety and file an application for your own certified copy of your criminal background history. This is the background check that goes through the FBI in Quantico, VA and is what law enforcement looks at when they are running a check.

.

Once you get that, make copies of it as it will show any entries up to the date of the request. So you can then submit copies of it to employers so they don't have to wait on anything from the court. If they wanted an updated records check, for example if the background check was several months old, then you can contact the court and have them print out a current list of any pending charges (which should be none) and then submit that updated current report to the employer.

.

With the FBI background check and any current updated report from the court, that should satisfy any employer..

.

Link to Dept of Public Safety: http://www.azdps.gov/services/records/criminal_history_records/

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help. i will require no further assistance.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much