Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I currently work local government in MO., years. In mid

Customer Question

I currently work for the local government in MO., for 15 years. In mid August, I was told that I had to supervise 5 CSR's. I am the third supervisor in one year. The reason I was told is due to the fact that I am a "nice person" and that the subordinates may act differently under another type of supervision. During this time, I have been accused of retaliation, bullying and so on. Everyday, I expect another grievance toward me. I can't eat, I get headaches and they are affecting my health. I had asked the director to relieve me of these duties and let me concentrate what I do best. He refuses. I know the union has said no and that I have to maintain this position. Meanwhile, I can't get anything accomplished because I have to check on these people or lack of a better term, "babysit". What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to hear this, but legally, the employer has the right to assign work to employees. If the union is not able to resolve the issue with your employer, then legally you have to perform the duties asked by the employer. If you are having health issues directly related to your employment, then you need to get to the doctor as soon as possible.
Under MO law, for this to be workers compensation related and covered, it must be stress "that is work related and was extraordinary and unusual. The amount of work stress shall be measured by objective standards and actual events." So this is what you would have to show for you to get some workers compensation if you need to go out of work because of this.
Otherwise, your only other recourse is to try to seek a transfer to another position I am afraid if they have one available you can move to.