Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I resigned from my employer due to constantly being berated

Customer Question

I resigned from my employer due to constantly being berated by a male coworker. I reported the verbal abuse to my supervisor who did nothing to stop it. I reported it to HR who told me that nothing would change and that since I was still within my 6month probationary period I could be let go for any reason. She then advised me to quickly decide if I wanted to continue to work for them.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about this.

You mention the gender of the employee mistreating you. Does his treatment of you specifically relate to your gender in some way? If so, did you make it clear to your employer that this is a gender issue? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I do not believe it is gender related. He's just an pos.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, if the negative treatment did not relate to your gender or to some other legally protected trait such as your race or religion, such negative treatment would not be against the law. Since it is not against the law, your employer is under no legal duty to stop it from occurring.

I'm afraid this means that you would not have any legal recourse, even if you could prove that you were forced or pressured to resign. It sounds like you were in a very unpleasant working environment, which unfortunately sometimes winds up happening, and that leaving may have been the best thing for you. As far as the law is concerned, though, there just isn't anything that you can do.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.