Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I was taken from my place of employment to a facility urine

Customer Question

I was taken from my place of employment to a facility for a urine drug screen. It just happens it is a Network my personal MD works thru. The facility gave a list of my personal meds with the drug screen, when I asked about it they said. "We already have a list of your meds" Can they do that?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.

No unless you signed a release here to authorize access to your medical records then the employer has no right to access this or use the medical facility to do so.You are within your rights to file a HIPAA complaint.You would also be able to sue the doctor again if there was no written consent then they invaded your privacy.

Forms to file

http://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/ocr/privacy/psa/complaint/pscomplaintform.pdf

Your real complaint here is with doctor for violating your medical and personal privacy.They can be fined here by the federal government.

I would consider talking to a local lawyer about a suit here too.If there was no consent form this is an invasion of your medical and personal privacy.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.