LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was wrongly accused by two students in a harassment case

Customer Question

I was wrongly accused by two students in a sexual harassment case in my school district. I was laid off, pending investigation and I went to trial, and was found not guilty of the charges that two students created. My employer laid me off for a year, while the case was being investigated. I incurred many bills while unemployed.
After the trial, I was not called to return to work, and my employer refuses compensate me for the year they released me.
Question?
Should I be compensated for the time my employer laid me off from work?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the district had good cause and a basis to lay you off, then they would not likely be liable and owe you compensation, for the year which you were unemployed. I say this because the findings of the court are not related to the decision of an employer. There is a burden that must be met by the plaintiff and evidence which must be presented and even though and Judge or Jury did not find in favor of the plaintiff and you were found not guilty, does not mean the employer has to pay you for the time off, even though they laid you off for these allegations. Now, if they were false and the students did this to try and harm and hurt you, you could sue them and try and recover through that route. However, just because the court found in your favor and against them, does not mean that the district has to pay you for the time which you were not working, if they had grounds to do this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!