Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

My name is ***** ***** Hampl.
, My question, briefly,

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Hampl.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question, briefly, is whether federal or state (Arizona) law has a statute of limitations for defamation and/or respondeat superior/vicarious libaility for defamation or libel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long of a wait (more or less) is "a bit"?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Defamation is handled under state law, not federal. The statute of limitations for a defamation action in Arizona is one year from the date the false statement was true. Statements are considered to be "republished" every time they are stated, so if someone is saying untrue things about you regularly, each gives rise to a new cause of action. The internet is always accessible, so there's also an argument that statements posted online are republished daily and therefore can be filed later (although, if possible, you should still file before the one year is up).

Vicarious liability isn't a specific tort - it's a theory of liability. The cause of action against the employer is still defamation, so the one year limitation period applies.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.