Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can an employer make it mandatory to work 5 weeks with no

Customer Question

Can an employer make it mandatory to work 5 weeks with no days off at 9 to 10 hours a day?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, an employer can do this in your state. Federal law doesn't make mandatory overtime illegal. For salaried employees or even hourly employees, as long as they are being paid properly, they can be asked to work as many days in a row as the employer wishes.

Some states have passed a "one day in seven" rule, meaning that employees have to get at least one full day off every week, but Oregon has not yet passed such a law. Until they do, the employer can require this work schedule.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.