Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Ive worked same company years. we just received a two dollar

Customer Question

Customer: ive worked for the same company for 15 years. we just received a two dollar increase across the bor to keep up with market pay. we have also just been given our yearly increases. for the first time in 15 years I was given a 1 percent raise.This is a direct slap to my face, I feel. The reason? Corporate audits. I am 58 years old and a white woman.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I believe I have gotten the lowest increase in the department. I am not in the "favorite" circle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: o.k.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Raises are not legally required in employment law, so the amount that you receive is a matter for the employer to determine. While I can certainly understand feeling that this is a slap in the face, that is not enough to make it a legal matter. You mentioned your age and your gender, but did not really explain or express their relevance to the question.

If you have evidence to suggest that the only reason you were not given a larger raise is your age or your gender, then you could certainly begin to establish some sort of discrimination claim. However, you also mentioned that you are not a favorite in the circle. Such in-house politics often leads to disparate treatment in raises and promotions, and while I find those actions petty and unprofessional, it is not illegal either.

The only way then that there is any possibility of this being illegal is if you establish that the only reason you were den denied a larger raise is your gender and/or age. If other women got larger raises, that would hinder any allegation of gender discrimination. If others of your age group got raises, that too would hinder any allegation of discrimination based on age. If that's the case, you're left with a matter of office politics, and as unfortunate as that is, courts do not get involved.

If you believe that you have any evidence to suggest discrimination based on either on your age or your gender, you should contact the EEOC in your state in order to initiate an investigation and preserve your right to sue.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.