John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have an employee working that is a cdl passenger carrying

Customer Question

I have an employee working for me that is a cdl passenger carrying driver that also works a second job. She is scheduled to work sun mon tues wed thur off fri and sat at our job. At the other job she works on sat. She is asking to work Friday for us. Is she allowed to?
sunday 8.5 hours Monday 8.5 Tuesday 8.5 Wednesday 8.5 Thursday 8.5 is her hours at our job and Saturday she works 8 hours driving a school bus. Friday would be 8.5 if she worked. She is under 60 in 7 days and under 70 in 8 days.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

She is allowed to work the Friday for you as well. The only law regulating this is the DOT regulations, which would allow her to work 10 hours or 15 hour shifts after 8 hours off, with a maximum of 60 hours in 7 consecutive days work or 70 hours in 8 consecutive days work. Here she is working 59 hours in 7 consecutive days and not comping close to the maximum daily limit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know there is an il law stating that an employer cant work an employee 7 days, with that being said if us knowing she is working another job and is going to work 7 days is that still legal?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Yes there is such a law, but a) you are not working her the 7th day, and b) any employee can voluntarily work the 7th day - they just cannot be required to work it.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive-rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.