Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

If I want to re someone with a non-compete which is valid

Customer Question

Customer: If I want to hire someone with a non-compete which is valid and reasonable. If the old company goes after him will they also draw our company into the suit? Can we simply fire him and escape any liability?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is a salesman in the midwest who was fired about 6 months ago. His non-compete is up in July 2018
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Normally company will only sue the employee. sometimes, it may try to pursue the hiring company too for lost profits and tortious interference with the contract, especially if the company is aware. Safer bet is not to proceed unless employee secures waiver of non compete in writing and/or indemnifies the hiring company.

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.