John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My pension has been set with survivor benefits. My wife has

Customer Question

my pension has been set with survivor benefits. My wife has passed and the benefits are no longer required. Of two similar pensions, one has updated my benefit to single status. The other has not because of a clause in regulations. years ago I read of some court cases in which this was corrected. Plus the participant was awarded the money that had been withheld to pay for the surviving benefits. which in my case has been a significant amount. what would be your advice.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

You would need to get a hold of the plan and closely review its language. In the case you are referring to the plan didn't inform the participant that selecting the joint survivor option was not revocable and thus the plan committed a fiduciary breach of duty and the participant was able as a result to revoke the election. Jordan v Federal Express. When a plan has such a joint survivor option it must state its terms and conditions, the right to waive or make the election, the right of the spouse to consent or waive the option, and the right and effect of revoking a waiver. If you were never informed of this in the plan or other plan documents, you have a claim and should seek a benefits attorney in your area to pursue an action against the plan. The hard part of these cases is plans adopt and send out language to participants (or the claim to at least) and the participants don't keep it...it goes in the trash.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive-rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.