Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was hanging out with my boyfriend at work and I was on

Customer Question

I was hanging out with my boyfriend at work and I was on break but I usually wear a watch to track time and I didn't so I lost the track of time and my supervisor threatened me that he will cut my day. I am tired of him threatened me. Can he get fired telling me who I can hang out with?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and nearly 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Can he get fired for telling you who to hang out with? Sure. There is nothing illegal about the employer deciding that that was not appropriate and terminating the supervisor on that basis.

Now, must he be fired? No, there is also no law that states that the supervisor must be fired or even disciplined for what he did.

So, the employer here can take what action they choose against the supervisor, or not action at all, and any of those results would be legal.

However, your facts here indicate another issue. You stated that you lost track of time and the supervisor threatened you based on that. So, if you did try to get the supervisor into trouble for telling you who you can't hang out with (which I already explained was not a legal basis forcing the employer to respond), the supervisor could just state that the real issue was that you were late from a break and that is why you were threatened, not who you were hanging out with.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.