Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was hanging out with my boyfriend at work I was on break

Customer Question

I was hanging out with my boyfriend at work I was on break and my supervisor threatened me that he was going to cut my day. Can he get fired telling me who to hang out with?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and nearly 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Can he get fired for telling you who to hang out with? Sure. There is nothing illegal about the employer deciding that that was not appropriate and terminating the supervisor on that basis.

Now, must he be fired? No, there is also no law that states that the supervisor must be fired or even disciplined for what he did.

So, the employer here can take what action they choose against the supervisor, or not action at all, and any of those results would be legal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.