Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

An employee said he wouldn't work at s wage anymore and left

Customer Question

An employee said he wouldn't work at his wage anymore and left the job for the day. Will I be liable for unemployment? I live in Washington State.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

Hi. He can only apply for it if he lost his job for a fault not is own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that a no? He can not get unemployment because he quit and walked out, stating, "I will not work for this wage anymore?"
Expert:  green-owl replied 1 year ago.

No to the originalquestion, meaning you will not be liable. Assuming you at least paid the minimum wage.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you have any further questions for us on this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks. What other information did you need?
I was wondering if you had any additional questions that were not answered above, since you did not leave positive feedback for the expert (which is required for the expert to receive credit for time spent with customer). If you have additional questions about this matter please ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just didn't seem like a full answer... Can you answer more specifically? And what I will need to prove?
Thanks.
Thank you for your reply.
An employee can collect unemployment benefits only when they lost their employment through no fault of their own. When an employee voluntarily quits employment, they must quit for good cause directly related to employment. If the pay has not changed and they quit because they wanted more money this is NOT good cause for quitting and you need to file an objection with unemployment if they apply for benefits and you would show that their wage had not been reduced by more than 33% prior to quitting and as such they had no good cause reason to leave employment.