Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I sold my business to a company and had a employment

Customer Question

Customer: I sold my business to a company and had a employment contract with a 5 year non compete. My business is Insurance. the non compete runs out in September of 2016. If I take all my accounts in March with effective r dates ranging from march thru the rest of the tear is it safe to assume that my damages would be limited to the accounts with income from March to Sept. Because after Sept they have a choice as to where they want to place the business? My name is ***** ***** Schield
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I spelled it out as best as I can.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 11 months ago.

What does the contract state as to the amount of damages in case of a breach of contract?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesnt have a clause for damages. What is usual is a negotiated purchase for lost business. But after non compete runs out no damages or purchase is posdible

What could be alleged would be a loss of future business as well if it is determined that a breach occurred during the contractual period but the damage caused extended beyond the duration of the non-compete. Bot***** *****ne is argument for damages gets very creative in courts. However, the term of the contract seems overly broad and a court may not even enforce the non-compete agreement at this point but there is a risk that the court does in fact enforce such agreement. It would be bad practice for me to guess as to what the other side may seek pursuant to the non-compete and again they could get creative to increase liability exposure.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

I am unable to speak on the phone. However, please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.