Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

If the employer filed an appeal against an employee's

Customer Question

If the employer filed an appeal against an employee's unemployment benefits presenting a statement from the employee that incriminates himself, which he wrote out of frustration and anger after two hours of interrogation from hr representarives, does he stand to win admitting he wrote the statement out of anger?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

You may well prevail on appeal.You can explain the circumstances and set out why the statement was incorrect or that it was coerced.Overall the hearing officer may be more friendly to you as the applicant for benefits.I would not let them scare you away from a hearing here.

Hearing officers in my experience tend to be pretty liberal, if this was coercion they will recognize it here and grant you benefits.It is pretty common for employers to abuse the system and intimidate employees.

I think you still have a good chance to prevail at appeal and receive benefits.I would keep going here hoping for a better outcome based on your testimony.

I am so sorry that you have had to endure all of this.I think you may yet prevail with the hearings officer given your testimony and version of how they extracted the statement .

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best with the appeal and everything.