Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Sedgwick handles all of FMLA claims, company I work for. I

Customer Question

Hello. Sedgwick handles all of FMLA claims, for the company I work for. I filed a fmla claim with Sedgwick in November to take leave for six weeks in January to recover from Gastric Sleeve surgery. Sedgwick doesn't pre approve claims, so I was told the approval process will start the first day I'm scheduled to miss work. I'm paying for the gastric sleeve out of my pocket, because I know my insurance company wont approve it, because I don't have any weight related illnesses.(diabetes, etc) I was told I will be in the hospital for up to two days. Should I have a problem getting my claim approve once my doctors office sends the surgical notes to Sedgwick?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Yes, gastric sleeve surgery is eligible as a serious health condition and also as treatment requiring a recovery for 3 days or more. So it is eligible for FMLA.