John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have a defined contribution plan with my employer, which I

Customer Question

I have a defined contribution plan with my employer, which I have been contributing to. However, I have been contributing the full amount, and my employer has been contributing nothing, but claiming that a percentage of what I have contributed was made by them. Is that illegal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Yes, generally they must conform to the plan contribution rate and time. Usually these are yearly contributions. The time the IRS gives them to make such contribution is the date of tax filing, plus any extension - so that's April to October of the following year. If your employer is not making such contribution it is a fiduciary violation of ERISA to not make such contribution and you have a viable claim against the employer. You could also contact the Department of Labor to file a complaint. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/contactebsa/consumerassistance.html

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.