Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Three years ago our Georgia-unemployment tax went from 2.7%

Customer Question

Three years ago our Georgia-unemployment tax went from 2.7% to 8% for our company, lots of layoffs etc. We went to a employment agency and the tax went under their number and it went back to 2.7%. That has now expired. We called the state dept. of labor and they said any reference ( box number, address, name ) to the company before we went to the employment agency would trigger a review and possibly put us back at 8%. The tax at 8% is just not possible for us. Any ideas? Please advise.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you would need to get another employment agency to work through as you had before. The only other thing you can do is you can form your own employment agency at a different address in the name of perhaps a spouse of an owner and have a contract with that agency to provide employees to your company. But that is all you can do I am afraid.