Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have filed suit in District Court of Maryland with a

Customer Question

I have filed suit in District Court of Maryland with a complaint of FMLA law violations. I need help with what I need to do to properly proceed. The first part is about Discovery that need to be served by 1/21/2016 . What all am I to include in this???
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Discovery is the process by which you ask and answer questions so that you can better understand the strengths and weaknesses of your case. In terms of answering, you'll only have to worry about that when you receive a request. They'll be in the form of interrogatories and document requests. You answer the questions and provide the documents, if you have them.

So, what you should do is send them a list of questions called interrogatories. These questions should be directed at evidence concerning your claim of FMLA discrimination and that really will depend on what you are actually arguing here as the evidence supporting the FMLA discrimination. You'll also want to ask who they intend to call as witnesses on their behalf so that you can know who to talk to (called a deposition) or you can ask what they generally will testify to.

Here is a sample of interrogatories:

http://www.sniderlaw.com/articles/sample-interrogatories.pdf

You'll also ask for any documents they have concerning you, the basis for your termination and your FMLA leave.

Here is a sample of document requests:

http://file:///C:/Users/Ruthnallen/Downloads/b0745eb9-de6f-4ac7-8b41-61a976e49367.pdf

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.