Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

In South Carolina can I be terminated as a hospice chaplain

Customer Question

In South Carolina can I be terminated as a hospice chaplain because the new administrator discovers I am gay? He has made homophobic remarks behind my back, do i have legal recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

While it is certainly illegal to terminate people based on many factors, like race and gender, sexual orientation has not yet caught up with those other factors. Federal law still does not make it illegal to terminate based on sexual orientation, except in federal jobs. Some states and cities have passed their own resolutions to that effect.

South Carolina has made some small progress in this area for the city employees of Columbia and Charleston, but not with private employers. The state attempted to pass a statute that would extend employment protections to the entire state for employers with more than 15 employees, but that statute did not ever leave the judiciary committee.

Regrettably, until the state passes a statute that expressly makes discrimination based on sexual orientation illegal, it remains an unprotected category in your state.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.