Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Can an employer fire an employee injured, following the

Customer Question

Can an employer fire an employee for being injured, following the doctors orders, a
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Was the injury on the job? How long have you been on FMLA leave? What is your particular injury and doctor's diagnosis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the middle of august I started getting a tingling in my shoulder and i asked my supervisor if thats normal. He says "yeah happens to me all the time" A few weeks goes by and the tibgling turned to a redhot poker driving from my neck to the base of my armpit. I still continued to work until 10-14-2015. I informed my supervisor I cant take it anymore and would be going to the doctor. He said" I understand let me know what happens"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I met with the doctor and she said i have tendenitious (spelling is horrible) she places me on light duty and 50mg Tramadol. I retur
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, your payment for a phone call isn't clearing. You may need to contact customer service to figure out the issue.

You haven't answered whether this is a work injury - assuming it is then your remedy is to file a workers compensation claim and you also have a claim for workers compensation retaliation.

Under FMLA you have the right of up to 3 months off without pay, during which time your job is guaranteed to be returned to you; after that they can terminate you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot my fmla paperwork at the hospital .but the doctor faxed it to ny employer and i figured it was over two weeks later hr tells me fmla was denied after numerous attempts to get fmla they fired me
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

is the employer FMLA mandated - in other words - 1) do they have over 50 employees, 2) have you been there in excess of 1,250 hours. And, if they are - what was the reason for denial?

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to assist by phone but your payment for the phone call is not going through for some reason.