Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is it legal business to deny restrooms to persons that they

Customer Question

Is it legal for a business to deny restrooms to persons that they have contracted with to work for them. Case in point Newspaper carriers comming to there dock and waiting for the papers to come out to be distributed to other carriers or home delivery
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Ohio has actually passed a law that regulates access to retail establishment restrooms. Here is the actual text of the law:

"Any retail establishment that has a toilet facility for its employees is encouraged to permit a customer to use that facility during normal business hours if the toilet facility is reasonably safe and all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The customer requesting the use of the employee toilet facility suffers from an eligible medical condition or utilizes an ostomy device.

(2) The employee toilet facility is not located in an area where providing access would create an obvious health or safety risk to the customer or an obvious security risk to the retail establishment.

(3) A public restroom or employee restroom normally available to the public is not immediately accessible to the customer."

(Title 41 Chapter 4173.02)

Summarized for your purposes, a retail establishment should let you use their restroom if you are a customer and the restroom is normally made available to the public. If you are simply "waiting" on the business's premises, you would not be a "customer" and therefore probably would not be entitled to use their restroom. But if you buy something, then you can argue that the law entitles you to use of their restroom facilities.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.