Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

What law states a employer doesn't have to with hold

Customer Question

What law states a employer doesn't have to with hold kentucky state income taxes
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My company tells us that it is against the law for them to withhold our state income tax. I work for a company called Crounse corporation out of paducah ky. We are a river towing company that hauls coal and rock to power plants.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. The law is actually that an employer must withhold state taxes from employees who earn qualifying wages unless the employer is exempt. There would be no way I could determine, via assistance through this forum, whether or not your earnings are considered "wages" or whether or not your employer is exempt. However, the State Department of Revenue can and you should make an inquiry through them for this specific employer and your situation.

In the meantime, the following links provide the State guidance and the law as it relates to this issue: (the statutory sections you should look at in the second link are 310-325)

http://revenue.ky.gov/wht/

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/chapter.aspx?id=37674

Please feel free to ask for clarification of my answer if needed. If none is necessary, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.