Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Been working Supermarket, red as part time my Department

Customer Question

Been working for a Supermarket, hired as part time my Department manager was injured at work. Since then I have been like a lead person. Hours schedule for over 6 months have been in excess of 34 hours. Should I have been offered a fulltime position. I am loosing out on vacation time and other compensations offered full time hires. This is in NorthCarolina
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unless this was a union job, you would not have any legal right to full time employment or benefits simply due to the number of hours you are being made to work. Granting "full time" status and the benefits that go with it is a decision solely within the employer's discretion. So, I'm afraid to say that unless you could prove your employer had an unlawful discriminatory motive for denying you this upgrade (i.e. your race, religion, etc.) then you would not have any legal recourse.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my response? Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you....