Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I'm ***** *****. I have been working in a hostile work

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm ***** *****. I have been working in a hostile work environment for almost 2 years. In Oct 2015, I submitted a letter to my supervisor, requesting a transfer to another position within the company, resignation from my current position as of March 31, 2016, and 2 professional letters of reference to pursue other employment & educational opportunities. In Nov 2015, I was accused of screaming at a female co-worker. I told my supervisor that the company treatment towards me is discrimination & rascism. The next day, I received a call not to come into the office until further notice. The following week, I received a letter accepting my resignation from my position as of Dec 31, 2015, a request to turn in my company laptop & ID badge, & I was told not to come back into the office, but that I would receive full wages until Dec 31, 2015. I reported my company to my local county Human Rights Commission, filed a complaint of discrimination & rascism against my employer, turned in documents from my company email, and I turned recordings I made of previous meetings that I had with my supervisors. I told the commission that I am seeking to be reinstated to my position that I held with the company.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In Jan 2013, I was given a verbal warning, after having a meeting with my supervisor at that time. During this meeting I requested the prescence of an HR rep, which my supervisor at the time failed to comply with. I submitted a letter of appeal to my HR dept, which was never addressed. In Jan 2013, I reported to my supervisor at that time, that a patient that I was seeing daily, as part of my job, as a home care nurse, is an extremely tough case, and I require assistance. Assistance never came & in Feb 2013, I suffered a back injury while seeing this same patient and I missed 3 months of work. When I returned, I was reassigned to a light duty assignment in the office. In Aug 2014, a female co-worker accused of threatening her by the way I stared at her. Prior to this incident, I had asked several times to have my seat moved away from this same female coworker, which was never done. After multiple meetings with company management, I was coerced into signing a paper agreeing to see a mental health specialist. After I signed this paper, I had a meeting with the head of HR and this didn't solve anything. I saw the mental health specialist in Aug , 2014. In Aug 2015, a female co-worker accused of intimidation, after I told her that she lied to me about one of our home care cases, which her supervisor confirmed her lie, which I followed up with my statement to her that she lied. I had a meeting in Sept 2015, with the vice president with the company when I verbalized my displeasure with the company's repeated treatment towards me, the lack of a non-biased or neutral 3rd party to investigate accusations against me, & how I felt that my rights were being violated.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: If I'm not satisfied with the response to my question, then I don't have to pay to post my question ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
So you have evidence that the sole reason for this conduct towards you would be your race? You reported this to the HRC, what about the EEOC?
What is your specific question for us at this point?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did not report this to the EEOC. My question is do I have a case against my employer, that I was treated with discrimination & rascis ? & do I have a good chance of getting my job back ?
Thank you for your reply.
Discrimination based on what, only your race or something else? Also, has the HRC made a finding yet in your complaint?