Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I live in NYC can I sue already out test and lawyer fees.

Customer Question

Customer: I live in NYC can I sue for Defamation already out for polygraph test and lawyer fees. LET
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A woman at work said I made sexual gestures and 1 statement, totally false to Human Resources. Work for the Federal Government.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If you can show that a false statement of fact was made about you to third parties, then yes you can sue for defamation of character. You can show some measures of damage already, but also having the complaint itself in your record (if you can't get it removed) can show an example of damages. Proving the degree of damages is legally your responsibility, which can be the most difficult part of the task. Additionally, this sort of claim is taken hourly in most situations, so there is a cost factor that can discourage people from filing the claim.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service so that I receive credit for working with you today.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.