Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I received a Performance Improvement Plan today at work

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 11 months ago.

What did it say to improve on? Are the reasons for getting this plan valid?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am a Spanish teacher. The improvement goals are tied to my units, lesson plans and curriculum needs. The PIP comes as a surprise to me since I have not met once with the middle school coordinator this school year.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think the reasons are valid. I have not signed the document.

Your employer is legally entitled to give you a PIP but if you feel the PIP is false and you are being targeted based upon a protected characteristic such as gender, race, age, religion or disability that would be unlawful. Otherwise, complying with the PIP would be the best course of conduct.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did a google search and most websites said that a PIP comes before the organization plans to fire the employee.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have to go, but will be back shortly.

Perhaps but it is also a way to help an employee improve its performance. I would analyze the PIP and make sure to make the requested changes and improvements.