Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

What termination notice can I expect 50 year old if I were

Customer Question

what termination notice can I expect for a 50 year old if I were working in North Carolina
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

There is no legally required termination notice based on your state or your age. Unless your employer has a policy requiring a specific period of notice, it is not required under the concept of "at will" employment.

Now, in some instances where there is a mass lay off if they are asking you to waive your rights to be able to sue for age discrimination. In that event, there are informational requirements that they have to meet by explaining to you know the statistics of who was let go (their ages) and how that decision was made. However, again, this is only required for large sector lay offs where they are seeking to have you waive your right to sue through a contract.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If so, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.