John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My employer offers health ins that I opt out of because I am

Customer Question

My employer offers health ins that I opt out of because I am on my husbands plan. No where in policy do they offer reimbursement for not using insurance, but a former employee was paid out for 10 years for the same situation. She was paid as a vendor and it was not reported as income on w2. Do I have a case against them for this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

No opt out payment isn't in fact an insurance plan controlled by the law; it's a non-regulated. So each employee getting it would have to individually negotiate that for him or herself. Some union's negotiate this for all their employees, but unless you are in a union that does this, you don't have an inherent right to an opt out payment.

Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.