Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can my employer hold my whole paycheck I did to a work truck

Customer Question

Can my employer hold my whole paycheck for damaged I did to a work truck ,which is I punch glove compartment,and it won't shut right ,also I was fired over this ,this is my last pay ,I have bills to pay.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

New Jersey law is incredibly strict in this regard. An employer is not allowed to deduct anything from your pay based on shortages, damage to property or anything of that nature. The only deductions permitted are those required by federal law or agreed to by you and for your benefit (like insurance).

If you have not approved a deduction, it is not legal. The employer has to give you your full check on the date that you next would have been paid had you not been terminated.

Once that date passes, the employer is in violation of your state's Wage Pay Act and you need to file a "wage claim" with your Department of Labor there.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/complnt/filing_wage_claim.html

Go to that site to file the wage complaint against the employer.

It appears that you posted this question a second time. I am only sending this message as a means to help you relocate this question, as your other question was closed as a duplicate.