Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

My employer in New York is facing litigation against it and

Customer Question

My employer in New York is facing litigation against it and is asking if I will sit down with their attorneys and answer questions. They tell me the meeting is required after I declined. Am I required to answer questions of my company's attorneys to help their case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. You can say no unless you have been subpoenaed for testimony at a deposition or testimony at trial. That said, if you are employed "at will" your employer could let you go if you refuse to cooperate since they don't need any reason to do so under the "at will" rule. This assumes that you don't have a contract that provides job protection. If you do make a statement, then keep in mind that you cannot be forced to say anything that isn't true and if you don't know or remember something, just say so, and don't guess or let someone put words in your mouth that are not accurate.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.