Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Can an independent contractor file a complaint from a

Customer Question

can an independent contractor file a complaint for dismissal from a contract without providing any reason. This is a government contract
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of contract law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question depends completely on the wording in this particular contract and whether or not within the notice provisions, there is "for cause" language that mandates a specified reason to breach the contract. All government contracts are not the same. That said, a person cannot typically materially breach a contract and leave the other party hanging either.

Generally speaking, a reason must be stated by contract before a party can be given relief from the requirements of the contract. I urge you to look through the contract closely. If there are no requirements as to stating a reason, you generally cannot, or should not, pursue this legally unless you are left with considerable consideration (money paid) for a service that has not been rendered.

Let me know if you have any other questions. This is one of those weird issues that relates almost exclusively to how the contract was drafted.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so that I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in on you to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks