Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I have recently been terminated from employment after 28

Customer Question

I have recently been terminated from employment after 28 yeas of working for a non profit organization in Texas. Can you briefly tell me what if any rights I might have in terms of severnce
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

Under § 821.25(b) of the Texas Payday Law rules, severance pay is additional pay for an employee's past work that is given at the end of the employee's employment. However, this severance pay only comes into play if it is written policy or other form of agreement is an enforceable part of the wage agreement, such as an employee handbook/guidelines for example. Otherwise, there is no "automatic" right to severance pay. The rules apply the same whether the employer was a for-profit or non-profit company.

If you should have received severance pay but did not, reply an let me know and I can tell you what the options are to force the issue.

If this is not what you had hoped to hear, I am sorry. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!