Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I worked healthcare system in the state of Oregon 4

Customer Question

I worked for a healthcare system in the state of Oregon for over 4 years, I supervised the department. There were a few of the staff that did not like being held accountable for their job. They went directly to Human Resources and complained. I of these employees continually stated there was a fragrance problem in the department, At one time there was but it was corrected. HR come and interviewed each of my employees and from these responses put together a document of nothing but negative statements. Within 2 weeks of this document being put together I was terminated. My Manager was non supportive of this document however, HR would not listen to anything she have to say. Do I have any type of recourse? Thank you, ***** *****

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. Unfortunately, unless you have job protection through a union bargaining agreement or your employer violated a contract or written policy in terminating you, there would likely not be any legal recourse. This is because Oregon, like most other states, is an employment "at will" state. Meaning that an employer may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless, as mentioned above, the employer violated a contract, written policy or their actions were motivated by your gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, or military service.

So, unless your situation falls into one of the exceptions I mentioned, there would be no legal recourse against the employer for letting you go even if their decision was misguided, unfair or arbitrary. If you do believe that one of the exceptions I mentioned applies to your situation, then you should sit down with a local employment law attorney with whom you can discuss all of the details of your case and decide what your next step is.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.