Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I informed my employer that my medical insurance is covered

Customer Question

I informed my employer that my medical insurance is covered by Kaiser Permanente and the Veterans Administration three times on their surveys since I am federally retired. I work a security job part time now. My hourly rate was $13.00 phr, now it's $12.70. I'm informed that it is but limited to, rising insurance costs.
My questions are, can the employer reduce my pay and make the employees pay for his insurance cost legally.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Employment in Maryland is deemed at will, which means the employer has the right to set their rate of pay. It is not illegal for them to pay an employee less money to try to offset benefit costs. There are also no laws that would make it illegal for an employer to even force an employee to participate in a group health policy even if the employee has other insurance. It would only be illegal if the employer is deducting money to make the employee pay premiums for a health plan that the employee is not receiving, then that would be considered theft.
The at will employee is free to negotiate whatever deals on pay that the employer will agree upon.