Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have been awarded a settlement in an accident and my

Customer Question

I have been awarded a settlement in an accident and my attorney has had the check for approximately a week or maybe a little longer. I have tried to coordinate with him on when I can come in and pick up the check. He seems to continue to say that the bookkeeper is very behind as they had many settlements come in at one time and they are ahead of mine. What should my course be if he continues to delay stating their huge workload and should I take someone with me to review the numbers to make sure they are legitimate?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You can ask him to fax or email a settlement statement to you now so that you can review it before you go to his office.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Email me an answer to my question. This is no answer!
Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

I can not email you from the site. If he delays paying out your settlement you can threaten to report him to the Louisiana State Bar. That should motivate him to get to your settlement.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Otherwise, I thought you were asking about having to review the figures in the office, which puts you under the gun, somewhat. That is why I suggested you have him send you the figures before you pick up your check. That way if you have any corrections, you can resolve them before you go in.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Seven days is getting a bit long to be holding you money.

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 12 months ago.

Did you wish to continue?