Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I got red on at a hotel as a manager in training.afterwards

Customer Question

I got hired on at a hotel as a manager in training.afterwards I was told that they did not need a manager and was only used as a desk clerk being paid 7.25 an hour. I worked more than 40 hours a week for at least 3 months. I asked for higher wages because I was offered a management job. He refused and I cut my hours from 6 days a week to 4 or 5. He eventually called me and let me go. He found someone else that would work more hours for less money and a room to stay in for compensation. I had another Job and am still working it. I am no satisfied with my current working situation and I want to quit. I know I can't draw unemployment FrI'm current job but can I draw from the hotel job. I was let got around nine months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 12 months ago.

No, you can't draw from the hotel job, even though you legitimately were terminated from there.

When unemployment is making a determination about your eligibility, they can look to prior employers in order to figure out your earned income during the "base period" for unemployment. However, they have to first look to the most recent job and why you are not presently employed to determine your overall eligibility.

If you left your most recent job voluntarily, that disqualifies you entirely from unemployment.