Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can you tell me if the State of Louisiana maintains any type

Customer Question

Can you tell me if the State of Louisiana maintains any type of short-term disability insurance system for medical non-job related disability? This would not be Social Security Disability because I understand that that would entail disability lasting 12 months or longer.
Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately no. Short term disability, as a state or federal function, doesn't exist. Only long term disability. This is why no one had heard of it.

For one to have any ability to obtain short term assistance, that is a function of private insurance that employers sometimes offer, or that a person can obtain themselves (prior to the need for it).

I wish I could tell you differently here, but that is a void in coverage for people.