Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

When income not income ex I give my check back to the church

Customer Question

when income not income ex I give my check back to the church who pay me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Can you give me a little more information here about your situation??

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am pastor and a vet i am not suppose to get paid for any work because i am 100% so my question is this income when I don't get paid and when they do I give it back
Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.Here you need to decline a salary at all to avoid problems.If you accept it and donate it you will have to file a return.And they would count it as income here and then you claim donation on your taxes.You are better off her declining a salary at all because if they pay you here even if you give it back it is considered income and must be reported.

You can just tell the church for eligibility purposes you are declining a salary at all and don't want to be paid.That way you have no problems here with benefits and reporting income.

You are an amazing person to do this for your church and the members.You are truly a man of god here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Have a great holiday season.