Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I got a dui. I am a tenured professor. Can I get fired if I

Customer Question

I got a dui. I am a tenured professor. Can I get fired if I am not convicted.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

I cannot see your employer here terminating you for a dui if you are not convicted. It really was not related to your job and an arrest is not a conviction. Many people are wrongfully arrested and once the results and other evidence is made known the charges are dismissed.

Again as a tenured professor I do not see this as grounds for termination.You are innocent here, there is no conviction to base any personnel action on. I think if you can get this dismissed or acquitted it would not be grounds for termination. I think your employer would have to let this go if you have the dui dismissed here or found not guilty.You haven't been convicted of anything.

I appreciate the chance to help you .I hope you are able to get this dismissed and move on with your life. We all make mistakes and I cannot see a termination at all in this situation.