Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I work as a greeter in a gh school in the town of

Customer Question

i work as a greeter in a high school in the town of Wallingford , i monitor the front door and ask people to show id before unlocking the door and allowing them in , my hours are 7:00 am -2:30 pm and make $10.30 an hour and i have no union,we have a security person his hours our 2:30-8:30pm, he does the same thing i do and he makes more then $14.00 an hour, we also have a security person in our parking lot and also directs traffic and his hours are 6:30 -3:00 and he makes over $14.00 an hour and no union.
After a local paper (Record Journal) had put a report in the newspaper on 11-11-15 regarding Town Ok's security guard job description, we are told we need to do a security training for greeters and security ,the town will pay for applications,background checks,and training coast, i asked if i will be making more money or getting an upgrade and was told (NO) is there something i can do because of my title Greeter i feel i am going no were and have been in this school for 17 years my job has changed greatly since sandy hook tragedy , i have been doing this since 2007 and have been a employee since 1998.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.

You would file a complaint here with EEOC.EEOC enforces the Equal Pay Act (EPA). The EPA prohibits pay discrimination based on sex, but it is limited to pay discrimination between employees who are performing substantially the same job at the same location.Here this appears to be your exact situation and you have great facts to force them to raise you up to the level of the others.

The Equal Pay Act requires that men and women be given equal pay for equal work in the same establishment. The jobs need not be identical, but they must be substantially equal. It is job content, not job titles, that determines whether jobs are substantially equal.

File here

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

You can be awarded back pay and wage increase in such a situation if EEOC agrees here.I hope you will do so and get some justice here.

I do appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.