Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

I have terminated my employment at will due to having 6

Customer Question

I have terminated my employment at will due to having 6 months with a company. Before that, the last ten years I have had management experience, including customer service experience and casino banking experience. My question is is it legal for an employer to hire a 16 year old at 8 dollars an hour when I was only making 7.25? Not only that, I trained this employee, and also had to help train some of the soon to be shift leaders that were hired after me, when they did not know something I did. I am sure they probably were hired at a higher wage also. Is this legal, and isn't this kind of discrimination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

There is no law that states that all employees that are hired have to be paid the same amount. The labor laws just require that the person receive at least minimum wage, unless there is an exemption, and that they be paid overtime for any time over 40 hours at 1.5 times their hourly rate..

.

However, if you feel that you were discriminated against due to your age, then you could potentially have an age discrimination claim, which is actionable. In order to pursue this, you would have to contact the local EEOC office and file a claim of age discrimination.

.

They will initiate an investigation at no cost to you and if they find grounds that you have been illegally discriminated against, they will issue a "right to sue" letter that you can then take to a labor or employment law attorney to pursue further with litigation if the employer is unwilling to resolve this with you.

.

.

thanks