Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

If you are leaving a salaried position,and give your

Customer Question

If you are leaving a salaried position,and give your employer a heads-up while searching, and then find a job and at that point give your 2 weeks notice.. If the employer gets angry and lets you go 2 days into a new pay period are they still required to pay you for the whole 2 week salary
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry, but no. A two week notice does not entitle the employee to automatically collect on the whole two weeks. The employer can still terminate the employment at any time, which means cutting off the employer's salary at date of termination. The employer does not have to pay anything else past this, regardless of whether the employee left earlier than the 2 weeks states out of his own accord, or they were fired.

If the employee had sick leave or vacation hours or a bonus that was not paid, this may still be collected depending on the state so if this is an issue, reply and let me know and tell me what state it is. However, the employer does not have to pay the two weeks fully under such circumstances.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.