Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I had minor foot surgery on 11/20. I was told that I needed

Customer Question

I had minor foot surgery on 11/20. I was told that I needed to keep my foot elevated above my heart for up to six weeks. My office allows certain employees to work remote, mainly management...i had this benefit revoked in March when I was written up for absenteeism and their inability to count on me when I said I would work from home. Now, I'm told that I must take unpaid flma leave because the can not make the necessary accommodations requested by my doctor (work from home or make the necessary work station accommodations so I can elevate my foot at the office). I am a single, working mom of 2. I can't not be paid. Especially this time of year. I will lose everything. They made this decision 6 days after I fave them the doc note, two day I actually worked at the office all day and one day I worked from home. I need to know what my options are.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Legally, employer has to reasonably accomodate, something it sounds like employer can do, agreed to do and then changed its mind. In this situation, it is best to remind HR of the obligation. You may do so or have a local lawyer do so. If needed you would and could pursue matter with labor board, and potentially court and the eeoc.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if that is fast and clear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did ask them today, when I recd the written response telling me today was the last day I would be paid until the doctor releases me to work, to reconsider making the necessary accommodations. I would like to wait for their response before getting an atty involved. May I contact you when I get their response?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

of course.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me positively, and you are welcome to follow up with me later.