TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I have a question about my husbands vacation pay he was

Customer Question

i have a question about my husbands vacation pay he was diagnoised Feb.9TH of this year withstage 3 lung cancer he took his sick leave from his place of employment to meet with Dr.s an see what the plan would be for treatment we meet with Dr.s on Feb 13 an becan chemo an Radiation immediately on Feb 27th he called the Secartary at his employment place to touch base with them and let them know what was going on an see if he could take a leave of absence an at that tome he was told he was terminated on Feb27th an all Insurance had been dropped on him also when he got his final pay check they did not pay him his vacation pay for 2weeks is there anything I can do to get this pay my husband of 50 years passed away on May 27th so can I persue this matter myself.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Assuming you are the executor of your husband's estate, then you can sue the former employer on behalf of the estate in small claims court. In Louisiana, an employer must pay an employee for any vacation time accrued during the employment, so you husband certainly was entitled to the pay, and his estate is now entitled to it. Obviously, if you win, the money would then be distributed to heirs (which is likely you).

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.