Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I am an RN in AZ an am considering getting my medicinal

Customer Question

I am an RN in AZ an am considering getting my medicinal marijuana card after an on-going 30 year battle with severe migraines, what are the repercussions I would be looking at from the state board of nursing?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There has been no policy in place for marijuana card users with an RN license, and the BON in AZ has yet to create one. At this point, every matter is on a case by case basis. Typically, if a nurse has a marijuana card, and tests positive but there is no allegation of impairment at work, the BON would send out a Letter of Concern. However, no other action is taken unless allegations of impairment during employment are included.

NOTE that since there is no set policy, mitigating factors may and often do change the outcome of BON's response.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!