Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Or Madame, I was granted a sabbatical leave from the

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madame,
I was granted a sabbatical leave from the nonprofit I started in 2012 for a six month period with the agreement that I would notify the organization of my intent to return or resign at the end of the sabbatical at the half way point. Approximately one month ago
I resigned from a position verbally At a board meeting. The written resignation was submitted a week or so later. The written resignation stated that the resignation was active Feb 1, 2016 and the verbal resignation did not indicate a date. Is it my legal right For the organization to honor my stated resignation date?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not. In employment law, when you give you resignation and a notice period, what you are technically doing is resigning immediately but then offering the employer the right to an additional period of your service.

The employer is not under any obligation to accept the period of service and their decision not to does not convert the resignation to a termination.