Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My employees plotted together to submit false claims to my

Customer Question

My employees plotted together to submit false claims to my management team to get rid of me. They bragged about this plot to other employees. . My boss refused to follow up on the claims and stated that is their perception and has essentially demoted me and failed to provide examples of claims just continued to call me horrible remarks, manipulative, etc. What are my rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can sue the individuals that lied about you for defamation of character. That is a personal injury claim that you can bring yourself.

However, in employment law, unless you had an employment contract stating that you could only be demoted "for cause" the employer doesn't actually need a good reason for demotion. This is called 'at will' employment. The employer here can legally ignore the other evidence and decide to demote you simply based on the fact that the others decided to gang up on you. The manager may feel that it is better for office harmony to simply go along and while that is absolutely horrible, it is NOT illegal unless the only reason you were being harassed in the first place was your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use (and then you'd file an EEOC complaint).