Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I work technical college in SC. Two weeks ago I was called

Customer Question

I work for a technical college in SC. Two weeks ago I was called to the campus for a meeting with my department chair and the Vice President of Health Sciences. I was notified by email late the afternoon before. I responded to the email bey telling them I would be there at the appointed time, but I asked what the meeting was about. No response. When I walked into the meeting, my chair person was there, the VD also the college Title IX coordinator, and the Director of HR. I had not been informed the other two would be there. As the meeting progressed, the VP told me it was fact finding. After that point the only person to talk at me was the HR Director. She said it was about a complaint by a student. She proceeded to ask me questions about a test one of my co-instructors and I proctored. The atmosphere and attitude from the HS Director was very accusatory and by the time they were finished, I was in tears. This whole meeting had a very unprofessional atmosphere and was that of a witch hunt. This crying episode was very uncharacteristic for me. The other instructor was also called to an "Inquisition" one hour before me and had the exact impression from her time there. Neither of us has heard anything about this process since. We both have asked our chair about this especially since it has been exactly two weeks since this "grilling". Do I have any recourse on getting followup information? Not sure of next step.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You may want to consider your own EEOC complaint here.If you feel they singled you out based on sex, race, or age you can seek the protection of EEOC.I wonder if this was not secretly a with hunt here to single you out.They may subliminally be trying to discriminate against you.A complaint would be investigated and offer you protection from being an at will employee. I would certainly consider the matter.

An EEOC complaint might also give you access to the information from the original complaint and allow you to see if this was really additional discrimination here.If you get a right to sue letter you can then use a lawyer here to seek damages from your employer.Also if the employer takes more action here such as termination you file another EEOC complaint here for retaliation.

You may have great facts to pursue this yourself through EEOC and seek protection of your job here.

File here.

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

EEOC lawyer for you here, you may want to try for one contingent fee, that means you do not pay until recovery.

http://www.lawyers.com/Labor-And-Employment/South-Carolina/find-law-firms-by-city/

I am so sorry that this has happened to you.Please consider your own complaint and then a lawyer if you get a right to sue letter from EEOC.You may well be a victim yourself of discrimination by the employer in all of this.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.If you have more follow up let me know, thanks.